Let’s face it, we all know that breakfast is an important part of our days. It can make the difference between a mid-morning mood or lack of concentration and a happy effective day. Yet, most of us treat it as a lesser priority. Whether we try to beat traffic in the morning or prioritize our kids getting breakfast, we often forget our own and run out the door without so much as a coffee. As a new vegan I’ve had to learn about the options I have for a quick breakfast at home as well as on the road. Going on vacations can make it even more difficult to find healthy vegan options since most of the time there are only certain restaurants around, most of which may not provide many choices for a vegan. But I have learned that there are many more options available than I initially thought. So, here I am sharing some of the vegan breakfast options available out there that will not delay your morning routine. This are just a few options I have learned, I’m sure there are more. And at home options with no hurry even more. But for now, here is my list for on the go vegan breakfast.
At home breakfast
- Granola – A cup of granola served with a splash of non-dairy milk and a banana (you can add other fruits if you like). I really enjoy this breakfast. Eating granola has many benefits which include helping lowering cholesterol, regulate digestion and improve heart health. To make it faster, sometimes I eat the granola and take the banana to go. I also keep a bag of granola at work, this helps me make sure I have a healthy option in the morning even if I forgot to eat at home.
- Smoothies – Smoothies are a delicious breakfast option and the recipes can vary. You can freeze bags with your selection of fruits already cut for each smoothie and just pour that into the blender in the morning for a quick smoothie to go. Some people like adding non-dairy milk, peanut butter, almond butter, cacao or vanilla powder.
- Avocado toast – If you have a little time, you can put some bread slices in the toaster and cut half an avocado. Then spread the avocado on top of the bread, add tomatoes if you have the time and prefer so. This is a delicious and healthy breakfast on the go. Just a couple of minutes will suffice for you to make sure you have eaten something before starting your day.
- Instant Oatmeal – There are many ways to prepare oatmeal in the morning very quickly. You can soak them overnight and eat them cold or hot (microwave them),add fruits or nuts (I add granola on top), or you can buy one of those instant oatmeal packages, pour a little water (or non-dairy milk) and heat them for two minutes in a microwave.
On the road breakfast
- Oatmeal – Places like Starbucks and Jamba Juice offer oatmeal options that are vegan. Starbucks has the Classic Whole Grain Oatmeal which comes with dried fruits, nuts and brown sugar as optional toppings and the Hearty Blueberry Oatmeal with blueberries and agave ($2.75 and $3.50). Jamba Juice has a Steel Cut Oatmeal made with soy milk ($3.29).
- Smoothies- Jamba Juice fruits smoothies, fruits and vegetables smoothies and almond milk smoothies.
- Bagels – Starbucks plain or multigrain bagels are vegan. Pair it with one of their many vegan drink options and you happily go about your day.
- Sandwich – Subway has several vegan breads and a selection of veggies to add. Some Subway locations have a veggie patty that is vegan (not all veggie patties are vegan) so you can ask about it. Many other places provide options that although not vegan, can be made vegan, so don’t get discouraged by the menu, ask your waiter about customizing your order.
- French Toast – Although Burger King has a very underwhelming selection of plant-based options, they do have French toast sticks that are vegan. Not the healthiest choice for breakfast but an option if you are in a hurry or are part of a group who decides to stop here for breakfast during vacation or a road trip.
Buen provecho everyone!